Rousse Regional Museum of History
"All that I experienced afterwards had already been in Roustchouk". Elias Canetti

In 1904 the archaeological collection, described, systematized and arranged by the brothers Karel and Hermengild Skorpil, is officially announced by the Ministry of Education to be an Archaeological museum at the “Knyaz Boris” Boys' School in Rousse. In parallel with it, the Museum of Natural History also came in existence, with the special merits going to the teacher of natural history Vasil Kovachev. This laid the foundations of the museum achievements in Rousse.
- 1910 Prof. V. Zlatarski excavated Church 1 in the Medieval town of Cherven
- 1914 K. Skorpil publishes the first book of the series “Materials for the archaeological map of Bulgaria” entitled “Inventory of the antiquities along the Rousse Lom river”
- 1921-1922 Under the direction of R. Popov, Head of the Prehistoric department of the Archaeological museum in Sofia, Dimitar Kostov implemented excavations at the Rousse Tell.
- 13.02.1922 The Rousse Archaeological Association is established.
- 1934 On occasion of the 50th anniversary of the “Knyaz Boris” Boys' School, the museum presented a new exhibition lay-out with the following structure: Prehistoric Age, Roman Age, Thracian Age, Middle Ages, Numismatic Department, Incunables and Ethnographic department.
- 1937 The school museum collection becomes a Town museum under the direction of the Municipality and receives accommodation in one of the halls of the Profitable House
- 1949 The museum is nationalized under the name People's museum.
- 1950 The conservation of the frescoes in the rock-hewn church of Ivanovo begins.
- 1952 The museum becomes a County museum.
- 1953 The County museum opens an archaeological exhibition
- 1958 The “Baba Tonka” exhibition is opened.
- 1959 An exhibition of the “Nature” Department is opened.
- 1965 The rock-hewn churches of Ivanovo, the Medieval town of Cherven and the Orlova chuka cave are declared museum reserves, and in 1979 the frescoes at “The Church” are listed as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
- 1971 the exhibition of “Nature” Department is closed
- 1978 the Pantheon of National Revival Heroes and the “Zahari Stoyanov” House-museum are opened
- 1979 For its 75th anniversary, the Museum of Rousse is awarded with the “Cyril and Methodius” order, 1st class.
- 1981 The County Museum's name is change to “Cultural Heritage Directorate”
- 1984 The exhibition “Rebellion of the Russophiles” is opened at the “Toma Kardzhiev” house (functioning until 1990)
- 1987 The exhibition “Urban Lifestyle and Culture of the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century” is opened.
- 1994 The exhibition “The Obretenov Family” is opened with materials of the “Baba Tonka” museum, which is closed for a long-term repair.
- 2000 The museum of Rousse receives the status of a Regional Museum of History.
- 2001 The “St. Paisius of Hilendar” Chapel is consecrated in the Pantheon of National Revival Heroes and a documentary exhibition for the “All Saints” Temple and the construction of the Pantheon of National Revival Heroes is opened.
- 2002 The open air archaeological exhibition Sexaginta Prista is opened.