Rousse Regional Museum of History
"All that I experienced afterwards had already been in Roustchouk". Elias Canetti

Archeology::

Ethnography::

History of Bulgaria 15th-19th century::

Modern and Contemporary History::

Nature::

 
“Archaeology” Department

The “Archaeology” Department is the oldest and largest in the Rousse Regional Museum of History. It is the direct successor of the Archaeological museum collection, opened in 1904 at the “Knyaz Boris” Boys' School and it is the basis over which the museum achievements in Rousse developed successfully. The Department combines the scientific sections of “Prehistory”, “Thracian archaeology”, “Antiquity”, “Middle Ages” and “Numismatics”.
The Department's patrimony possesses nearly 70 000 pieces, which present the most important characteristics of the appearance of the material and spiritual culture of the Rousse region by the end of the 14th century. Among them, there is Chalcolithic idol plastic and pottery, the Thracian silver treasure of Borovo, Thracian adornments, a collection of Thracian helmets, objects from the everyday life and armament from the Roman period, adornments from the period of the First Bulgarian Kingdom (7th-11th century), a silver treasure from the village of Baniska (13th century), relief ceramic icons from Cherven (14th century), frescoes from Medieval rock-hewn monasteries, many hoards, etc.
Most of the exponents, kept in the department, came by archaeological excavations, the beginning of which was set in 1904. A great number of significant sites has been researched so far, with the Rousse tell, the Neolithic settlement at the village of Koprivets, the Thracian mound necropoles around Borovo and Brestovitsa, the Antique tomb-mausoleum at the village of Babovo, the Roman castles of Yatrus and Sexsaginta Prista, the Antique necropolis at the village of Peichinovo, the Early Medieval necropoles at the villages of Nikolovo, Krasen, Tabachka, Trastenik, the Early Medieval fortified settlement at the village of Starmen, the Medieval town of Cherven, the “St. Archangel Michael” rock-hewn monastery at the village of Ivanovo, and many others, being the most distinguishable among them. Some of these sites are being investigated for decades and are determinant for the development of the Bulgarian archaeological science.
In parallel to the archaeological excavations, the Department implements permanent terrain observations, the results of which replenish the archaeological map of Bulgaria. There are also activities of control on the condition of the archaeological monuments implemented, as well as their preservation, conservation and restoration. The department prepares and exhibits a great number of exhibitions in Rousse and other towns of the country, as well as abroad. Separate exponents are also presented in the exhibitions of the Archaeological Institute with Museum of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, of the National Museum of History in Sofia and others. In 2005 a senior research associate, two PhDs, and other distinguished specialists are working in the department. The results of their activities are published in many books, monographes and other scientific publications.
There are currently four specialists working in the Department: Dimitar Chernakov, Stoyan Yordanov, Varbin Varbanov and Deyan Dragoev.